António M. Magalhães
Professor Catedrático da Faculdade de Psicologia e de Ciências da Educação
Universidade do Porto
R. Alfredo Allen
4200-135 Porto, Portugal
CIÊNCIA VITAE: https://www.cienciavitae.pt/en/E51D-13B7-17B2
Research interests: sociology of education and education policy analysis with a focus on the relationship between the state, the system of European governance and education institutions, particularly in the field of higher education. Also develops research on the methods of analysis of education policies, mainly from the perspective of discourse analysis as theory and method.
Main research areas:
- Governance and management of higher education systems and institutions
- European governance and higher education
- Reconfiguration of education in higher education
- Discourse analysis of higher education policies
- Sociology of Education
PhD on higher education policies, University of Twente (Centre for Higher Education Policy Studies - CHEPS) – the Netherlands – 2001
Master in Education Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the University of Porto, 1995
Bachelor in Philosophy,Faculty of Letters of the University of Porto - 1980.
- CIPES – Centre for Research on Higher Education Policies (Porto, Portugal) – Director (since April 2022) and Coordinator of the Research Group – System level higher education policies
- Head of the Department of Education Sciences of the Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences of the University of Porto (2010-2019)
- President of the Council of Representatives of the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the University of Porto (2018-2022).
- Member of the Senate of the University of Porto (2018-2022).
- Vice-Dean of the Board of Directors of the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the University of Porto (2005- 2008).
Teixeira, P., Shin, J. C., Amaral, A., Bernasconi, A., Magalhães, A., Kehm, B. M., Stensaker, B. et al. (Eds.) (2020). The international encyclopedia of higher education systems and institutions. 4 vol. Dordrecht: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-9553-1
Teixeira, P., Veiga, A., Rosa, M. J., & Magalhães, A. (2019). Under pressure? Higher education institutions coping with multiple challenges. Leiden: Brill Publishers.
Sarrico, C. S., Teixeira, P., Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., Rosa, M. J., & Carvalho, T. (Eds.) (2016). Global challenges, national initiatives, and institutional responses. The transformation of higher education. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-6300-675-0
Magalhães A. (Ed.) (2016). Que perceções têm os portugueses sobre o valor da educação? [What perceptions do the Portuguese have about the value of education?] Porto: Fundação Belmiro de Azevedo.
Magalhães, A., Machado-Taylor, M. L., & Sá, M. J. (2013). Satisfação dos estudantes do ensino superior português [Satisfaction of Portuguese higher education students]. Matosinhos: CIPES.
Stoer, S. R., & Magalhães, A. M. (2005). A diferença somos nós: A gestão da mudança social e as políticas educativas e sociais [The difference is us: The management of social change and educational and social policies]. Porto: Edições Afrontamento. 178 pp.
Santiago, R., Magalhães, A., & Carvalho, T. (2005). O surgimento do managerialismo no sistema de ensino superior português [The emergence of managerialism in the Portuguese higher education system]. Coimbra: FUP-CIPES.
Stoer, S. R., Rodrigues, D., & Magalhães, A. M. (2003). Theories of social exclusion. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang Pub. Inc., 272 pp.
Magalhães, A. M. (2004). A identidade do ensino superior: Política, conhecimento e educação numa época de transição [The identity of higher education: Policy, knowledge and education in a time of transition]. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, 411 pp.
Amaral, A., Correia, F., Magalhães, A., Rosa, M. J., Santiago, R., & Teixeira, P. (2002). O ensino superior pela mão da economia [Higher education by the hand of economy]. Matosinhos: CIPES.
CHAPTERS OF BOOKS
Magalhães, A., & Veiga, A. (2022). European governance and doctoral education: What is “higher” in higher education? In Guilherme, M. (Ed.), A framework for critical transnational research. Advancing plurilingual, intercultural, and inter-epistemic collaboration in the academy (pp. 21-34). London: Routledge.
Veiga, A., & Magalhães, A (2019). Reconfiguring Portuguese higher education: Between national and European priorities? In B. Broucker, K. De Wit, J. C. Verhoeven, & L. Leisyte (Eds.), Higher education system reform. An international comparison after twenty years of Bologna (pp. 137-150). Leiden: Brill Publishers.
Magalhães, A. (2018). De la connaissance à des compétences. La reconfiguration de l’éducation dans l’enseignement supérieur européen [From knowledge to skills. The reconfiguration of education in European higher education]. In R. Bouzeriba, H. Cellier, & A. Kouadria (Eds.), L’approche par compétences dans l’enseignement supérieur [The competency-based approach in higher education] (pp. 109-126). Paris: L’Harmathan.
Veiga, A., & Magalhães, A. (2018). Differentiated integration in the field of higher education: Between theory and practices of (non)integration. In C. Sin, O. Tavares, S. Cardoso, & M. J. Rosa (Eds.), European higher education and the internal market (pp. 127-160). Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-91881-5_5
Veiga, A., & Magalhães, A. (2017). Four ‘I’s configuring European governance in higher education. In A. Bleiklie, J. Enders, & B. Lepori (Eds.), Managing universities: Policy and organizational change from a Western European comparative perspective (pp. 191-215). London: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-53865-5_8
Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., & Videira, P. (2017). Hard and soft managerialism in Portuguese higher education governance. In R. Deem, & H. Eggins (Eds.), The university as a critical institution? (pp. 39-53). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-6351-116-2_3
Veiga, A., Magalhães, A., & Amaral, A. (2015). From collegial governance to boardism: Reconfiguring governance in higher education. In J. Huisman, H. de Boer, D. D. Dill, & M. Souto-Otero (Eds.), The Palgrave international handbook of higher education policy and governance (pp. 398-416). London: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-137-45617-5_22
Magalhães, A., & Veiga, A. (2015). The narrative approach in higher education research. In Theory and method in higher education research (pp. 311-331). Bingley: Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/S2056-375220150000001015
Magalhães, A. (2014). Scenarios, dilemmas, and pathways to European higher education. In A. Teodoro, & M. Guilherme (Eds.), European and Latin American higher education between mirrors (pp. 109-124). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
Magalhães, A., & Amaral, A. (2009). Mapping out discourses on higher education governance. In J. Huisman (Ed.), International perspectives on the governance of higher education: Alternative frameworks for coordination (pp. 182-197). London: Routledge.
ARTICLES IN SCIENTIFIC MAGAZINES
Magalhães, A. (2021). Caminhos e dilemas da educação superior na era do digital [Paths and dilemmas of higher education in the digital age]. Educação & Sociedade, 42, e249245. https://doi.org/10.1590/ES.249245
Custers, B., & Magalhães, A. (2021). Problematising ‘education’ in the modernisation agenda for higher education: The onset of language(s) of education. European Educational Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/14749041211047334
Veiga, A., & Magalhães, A. (2020). Challenges for research in higher education: The case of internationalization between the explanandum and the explanans. Sociologias, 54, 46-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/15174522-97866
Seidenschnur, T., Veiga, A., Jungblut, J., & Magalhães, A. (2019). Hopes, beliefs, and concerns: Narratives in German and Portuguese universities regarding Brexit. Higher Education, 79, 867-884. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-019-00443-y
Veiga, A., Magalhães, A., & Videira, P. (2019). Strategizing and managing change in Portuguese higher education. Perspectives: Policy and Practice in Higher Education, 24(2), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/13603108.2019.1575294
Magalhães, A. (2018). A reconfiguração do mandato político endereçado à educação superior europeia [The reconfiguration of the political mandate addressed to European higher education]. Eccos – Revista Científica, 47, 127-148. https://doi.org/10.5585/EccoS.n47.10692
Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., & Amaral, A. (2016). The changing role of external stakeholders: From imaginary friends to effective actors or non-interfering friends. Studies in Higher Education, 43(4), 737-753. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2016.1196354
Veiga, A., Magalhães, A., & Amaral, A. (2016). Meta-governance and the supply of degree programes in the context of Bologna: Lessons from the Portuguese case. Journal of the European Higher Education Area, 2, 27-47.
Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., Ribeiro, F., Sousa, S., & Santiago, R. (2013). Creating a common grammar for European higher education governance. Higher Education, 65, 95-112. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-012-9583-7
Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., Ribeiro, F., & Amaral, A. (2013). Governance and institutional autonomy: Governing and governance in Portuguese higher education. Higher Education Policy, 26(2), 243-262. https://doi.org/10.1057/hep.2012.31
Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., Amaral, A., Sousa, S., & Ribeiro, F. (2013). Governance of governance in higher education: Practices and lessons drawn from the Portuguese case. Higher Education Quarterly, 67(3), 295-311. https://doi.org/10.1111/hequ.12021
Magalhães, A., Veiga, A., Sousa, S., & Ribeiro, F. (2012). How is European governance configuring the EHEA? European Journal of Higher Education, 2(2-3), 160-173. https://doi.org/10.1080/21568235.2012.693843
Magalhães, A., Amaral, A., & Tavares, O. (2009). Equity, access and institutional competition. Tertiary Education and Management, 15, 35-48. https://doi.org/10.1080/13583880802700040
Magalhães, A., & Amaral, A. (2007). Changing values and norms in Portuguese higher education. Higher Education Policy, 20(3), 315-338. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.hep.8300156
Magalhães, A. (2006). A identidade do ensino superior: A educação superior e a universidade [The identity of higher education: Higher education and the university]. Revista Lusófona de Educação, 7(7), 13-40.
Projetos de Investigação
- The effects of the pandemic on higher education, Centre for Higher Education Futures, Aarhus University. Researcher - CIPES - 2020-2021
- European Universities: Critical Futures – Centre for Higher Education Futures, Researcher CIPES -2018-2021
- ATENA: Saber para Intervir: Observatório da Educação. Researcher - EDULOG-CIPES 2016-2019.
- Higher education and Brexit: current European perspectives, Centre for Global Higher Education – UCL, Researcher 2017-2018
- Universities in the Knowledge Economy (UNIKE), Principal Investigator 2013-2017.
- Glonatins: Global Challenge, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses: mapping the transformation of higher education institutions at the dawn of the twentieth-first century, Coordinator of the research group of CIPES ‘System Level Policies in Higher Education’ 2013-2016
- Governing and governance in higher education in the Collaborative Research Project (CRP) Transforming Universities in Europe (TRUE). Principal Investigator 2009-2013
Serviço Público e de Extensão
- Presidente do Conselho Fiscal do Instituto Paulo Freire- Portugal (2010…)
- Presidente Conselho Geral da Escola de Gestão do Porto – University of Porto Business School (2008-2011)
- Comissário da Exposição da Universidade do Porto, Professor Stephen Ronald Stoer (2007)
- Coordenador da rubrica ‘Reconfigurações’, da revista A Página da Educação (2007…)
Outras atividades relevantes
- Coeditor of the series Issues in Higher Education of Palgrave Macmillan (2019…).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the series Education and the Mediterranean: Challenge and change across South Europe and the MENA region, Brill Publishers (2018…).
- Member of the Scientific Board of the RECH - Revista de Ensino de Ciências e Humanidades of the Federal University of Amazonas (Brazil) (2018…).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Revista Investigar em Educação of the SPCE (2013).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Mediterranean Journal of Education Studies – University of Malta (2008…)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Educação, Sociedade & Culturas
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Revista Portuguesa de Educação
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Globalisation, Societies and Education. University of Bristol (2002…)